Sunday, August 25, 2013

The S Word

The book of Ephesians has brought me such strength down through the years. It is how I have learned much of the Right Side Up Kingdom.

Having done all - stand
Put on the full armor of God
The sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God
Shod with the preparation of the gospel (Good News!) of peace.  Shoes of peace - there you go - try those puppies on for size.

A belt of truth - around your loins - the place of production - of creation.
Create and give birth through the Truth!

My my - that was certainly new thinking for me so many years ago. Still keeps me on edge, that one does.

But that is chapter six. That chapter is about the warrior - about victory and strength and so...some measure of self-esteem.

But back up to chapter 5.
Ahem - how about verse 22? (and because we believe in the Bible rightly divided - not just one lone verse - Col 3, 1 Peter - and so much of the OT)

Wives
here it comes
OBEY YOUR HUSBANDS
SUBMIT TO YOUR HUSBANDS

AS TO THE LORD.

Well
I have had trouble with this scripture.

Rats - lots of trouble. And I would love to tell you it is because he is not a believer. But he is - a pastor believer.
And I would like to tell you that he is only a believer in public and at home he is a big rat fink
but he is a man of God - growing, changing each year to be more wise and prayerful and kind and a better husband AND human.

So, it should be easy, no?

No.

But this is really no reflection on him at all. Any more than when, in the verses to follow, Paul tells the husband to love the wife as Christ loved the church, and GAVE himself for her.

Through Paul's hand (a man I used to remind myself)...God tells the wives to submit and to obey.

He tells men and women to submit to one another in several other places, not just wives to husbands - men to women and men to men and slaves to owners...
submission is a big thing.

He tells men to "die" for their wives, no greater love - than that a man should lay down his life for his fellow man.

Enter Jesus Christ.

I have come to see - that all this submission and obeying is about Him.
What a surprise, eh?

Everything is.

When submitting to Rex - I am really submitting to Jesus.  When obeying in love another human being - submitting my will to theirs - I am doing this unto the Lord.

Why is that important?

Well - not submitting got Eve into worlds of hurt = and her children's'  children's' children: us.

Yielding our pride and our will to another in love - and I am not talking about sinning for them...doing evil because they tell me to -

But preferring anthers' viewpoint before my own...this is Kingdom philosophy. The Kingdom of love - of Jesus Christ.  And by extension - my kingdom.

The place I have free will over - my little kingdom of Susanity. I get to choose each moment of the day - is it all about me, or might it be all about Him and someone else?

It becomes much harder to do this scripture (and Jesus is pretty adamant about calling Him Lord, but not obeying Him Luke 6:46) when we think we are too smart for the world around us.

Ugh. I was raised to think I was too smart, it has taken me 56 years to realize how very little I know.

If I think my intelligence is the exception to the submission rule - or women's lib - or his personality - or that was for another culture

then I will ignore the Word - and live unto myself.

But o - the delight of losing my life for His sake. Of dying to self and actually preferring the belief, decision and choices of another - of my husband.

Rex has not always been right in the decisions he's made. Imagine that.

But for 37 years - he has prayed over most of them,  You know - prayer?
Bowing your heart and mind and knees and seeking the will of God - submission to the sweet divine Love and Light of all eternity?

And he has always wanted what was best for us, and made decisions for OUR good.
So - I am blessed in who I am asked to submit to here - and STILL I tremble. And too often disobey - or at least
argue for hours and days = and them "submit",

Not sure that qualifies...but I suppose it is better than nothing :)

Jesus tells me the truth. Always. He can do no other - He is the Truth.
Matthew 10:39 tells me this truth:

Lose your life FOR MY (Jesus) SAKE - and you will find it.

For the sake of Love - I have obeyed my husband...and each time it was for that reason and in the spirit of Love...I have never regretted it.

In fact - I have learned Kingdom Self. I have inherited the nature of Christ and have seen the Kingdom of God unfold from the inside out and flow into my world.
Because loving another - preferring another
Giving instead of receiving
really
is
better.

Hope you all find peace and joy in the journey.
Suz

1 comment:

  1. Just another great reason to never get married :) I kid that was a cool breakdown...but I am not submissive enough yet to submit to this argument...because I am a mystery wrapped in an enigma :)

    ReplyDelete